Re: configure.ac

From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
Subject: Re: configure.ac
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:30:54 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Bob Lockie wrote:
> When I put the following code in I get a warning.
> if test "x$enable_ogglibs" = xyes; then
>      dnl Libraries required for reading ogg tags, if not found
> 'enable_ogglibs' is disabled
>      AC_CHECK_LIB(ogg, ogg_sync_init, , enable_ogglibs=no)
>      AC_CHECK_LIB(vorbis, vorbis_comment_init, , enable_ogglibs=no)
>      AC_CHECK_LIB(vorbisfile, ov_open, , enable_ogglibs=no)
> fi
> warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM was called before AC_CANONICAL_TARGET
You need the AC_CANONICAL_TARGET somewhere at the top of your
configure.ac: The configure script will need to know whether you're
cross-compiling in order to know what to do with AC_ARG_PROGRAM

> I think the code is supposed to check for the existence of the libvorbis
> library.
> What does the "x" mean?
The "x" is just there to make sure that there is something left of the
test's operator in case the variable is empty.

> 1. Can anybody point me to a tutorial on shell programming?
Personally, I think the advanced Bash scripting guide is pretty good. You
can find it at: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
It's a pretty clear guide so if you know how to handle the command-line of
your *NIX box, you will probably know enough to start with this. (However,
if you come from a Windoze environment, it may be a bit tough.

> 2. Does anybody know what this error means.
See above

> I've searched the web but I haven't found a good tutorial on autoconf yet.
Have you tried just reading the manual?
Otherwise, there's also the "Autobook" which is available here:
http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/
It is a bit outdated, though..

Have fun!

rlc