Re: configure.ac

From: Bob Lockie
Subject: Re: configure.ac
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:37:51 -0500

On 02/14/03 04:30 Ronald Landheer-Cieslak spoke thusly

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Bob Lockie wrote:

When I put the following code in I get a warning.
if test "x$enable_ogglibs" = xyes; then
dnl Libraries required for reading ogg tags, if not found 'enable_ogglibs' is disabled
    AC_CHECK_LIB(ogg, ogg_sync_init, , enable_ogglibs=no)
    AC_CHECK_LIB(vorbis, vorbis_comment_init, , enable_ogglibs=no)
    AC_CHECK_LIB(vorbisfile, ov_open, , enable_ogglibs=no)
fi
warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM was called before AC_CANONICAL_TARGET

You need the AC_CANONICAL_TARGET somewhere at the top of your configure.ac: The configure script will need to know whether you're
cross-compiling in order to know what to do with AC_ARG_PROGRAM

I did that and now I get:
warning: AC_CANONICAL_TARGET invoked multiple times

It would be nice to know which macros depend on which other macros.
I think I have something in the wrong order. :-(

I think the code is supposed to check for the existence of the libvorbis library.
What does the "x" mean?

The "x" is just there to make sure that there is something left of the test's operator in case the variable is empty.

Thanks a lot.

1. Can anybody point me to a tutorial on shell programming?

Personally, I think the advanced Bash scripting guide is pretty good. You can find it at: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/ It's a pretty clear guide so if you know how to handle the command-line of your *NIX box, you will probably know enough to start with this. (However, if you come from a Windoze environment, it may be a bit tough.

I'll check it out.

I've searched the web but I haven't found a good tutorial on autoconf yet.

Have you tried just reading the manual?

The manual is kindof technical. :-)

Otherwise, there's also the "Autobook" which is available here: http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/
It is a bit outdated, though..