Re: please bring back program suffix for autoconf bin files

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: please bring back program suffix for autoconf bin files
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:12:35 -0800

Jens Petersen wrote:
[Dan Kegel wrote: why is there no /usr/bin/autoconf-2.57 in Red Hat 8.1beta?]

The main reason for doing this was that autoconf-2.53 was
appearing in spec files and this breaks of course everytime
the Autoconf version is up'ed.  So the thinking is: use
"/usr/bin/autoconf" for the moving newer version and
"/usr/bin/autoconf-2.13" for the old static one.  I did put
the idea forward upstream about adding API versioning to
Autoconf like Automake has had since 1.6, but there was no
response unfortunately. :-|  It's anyway really too late to
make such a change for the coming release now, but I guess
there is nothing to stop you from making the symlink
yourself. :)

BTW, automake in Phoebe *does* seem to have the kind of
suffixes I want, so it's just autoconf that's missing it
currently.

Yep, because it comes from upstream - since Automake 1.6
there has been API versioning in Automake.

Sigh.  I saw your post three months ago
( http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2002-12/msg00029.html )
and didn't speak up then.  I guess I should have!
Thanks for the explanation.

Autoconf people, it would be very helpful if autoconf
instituted versioning support, i.e. a way for build
scripts and the like to specify which version of autoconf
to use.  Normal developers won't need it, perhaps, but
people like me who are trying to write a script to
build fifty different open source packages from source
would find it *very handy*.

As you may know, Debian and Cygwin have both found this
important enough to come up with their own way of doing
it, but having different schemes for Debian, Cygwin, and
the various Red Hats makes life difficult.  A unified
versioning scheme from the autoconf maintainers would help.
It doesn't even need an autodetecting script; the
"/usr/bin/autoconf is a symlink to the newest version" scheme
would be fine.

Thanks,
Dan

--