Re: please bring back program suffix for autoconf bin files

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: please bring back program suffix for autoconf bin files
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:53:59 -0800

Mike Castle wrote:
Autoconf people, it would be very helpful if autoconf
instituted versioning support, i.e. a way for build
scripts and the like to specify which version of autoconf
to use. ...

I'm not sure I understand why this is such an issue.

When building from source, one rarely changes needs to make patches to
configure.{in,ac} and then run autotools*.  And I have a tool that builds
my entire linux system from scratch, and I pretty much live bleeding edge
on EVERYTHING.

You don't cross-compile for embedded CPUs, I bet :-)
That's what makes me need to muck with autoconf stuff so much;
many packages need patches to make them cross-compile-friendly.

If you're building packages for distribution, you pretty much MUST use a
chroot environment anyway to be sure you're using known versions of libc,
binutils, gcc, rather than whatever may be installed on the system.  Apply
the same to autoconf.

Sure, I could, and maybe I will.  But all I need is access to
a recent autoconf side by side with the old autoconf-2.13.
All the distros make autoconf available as /usr/bin/autoconf,
but the name they use for autoconf-2.13 varies:

Red Hat 8.x: /usr/bin/autoconf-2.13
Debian:      /usr/bin/autoconf2.13
Mandrake:    /usr/bin/autoconf-2.13
Cygwin:      /usr/autotool/stable/bin/autoconf

How painful would it be for the autoconf maintainers to declare the following?

  Linux distributors are encouraged to make autoconf-2.13
  available as the executable
       /usr/bin/autoconf-2.13

That's all it would take to make things easy for people like me.

Myself, I'll just make that symlink myself while I'm waiting for Debian
and Cygwin to wise up.
- Dan