Default for libexecdir

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Default for libexecdir
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 08:31:16 -0800 (PST)

Our project wants to install some helper scripts that are called from our
main program.

We want to use libexecdir so that it can be overridden with --libexecdir
option to configure.  But, we want the default to be in
${prefix}/lib/${PACKAGE}/, or I guess really ${libdir}/${PACKAGE}.

But I'm not finding a way to set the default for libexecdir.  Please point
me to the autoconf node if I missed this in the docs.

Short of GNU standards, is there anything wrong with that desire?

BTW -- I'm using automake, so I'd like to use libexec_SCRIPTS for
installing the scripts.

We also have some package-specific Perl modules that I don't really want
to install in the system Perl library (e.g. /usr/lib/perl5).  They are
copied directly from the distribution -- that is, there's nothing platform
or OS specific about them.  So I'm not sure if they should go in datadir
(something like ${datadir}/${PACKAGE}/perl).

Since Perl installs in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib, I suppose we would
follow and use ${prefix}/lib/{$PACKAGE}/perl.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley address@hidden