Re: Get rid of `-g' in CXXFLAGS

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Get rid of `-g' in CXXFLAGS
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 20:35:43 -0500

On  1-Aug-2003, Frank A. Uepping <address@hidden> wrote:

| I want CXXFLAGS without the -g flag BY DEFAULT!
| Because the normal user doesn't want a bloat bin with debug information.

Perhaps not, but as the maintainer of a package with the occasional
bug, it is annoying when someone reports a problem that seems to be
specific to their system, and I ask for a traceback from gdb and they
can't give it to me without lots of extra work (they have to go back
and rebuild with debugging enabled, or install unstripped binaries
becuase the package maintainer stripped them).  My life would be much
simpler if debugging symbols were always included.

So, in my exprience, you don't want to do what it is you think you
want to do.  I don't think it is a bad thing that autoconf does not
give you a simple option to allow you to omit -g from the compiler
flags.

jwe

--
www.octave.org        | Unfortunately we were hopelessly optimistic in 1954