Re: Autoconf 2.57d instability

From: Eric Sunshine
Subject: Re: Autoconf 2.57d instability
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 06:53:00 -0400

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:58:54 +0200 (CEST), Akim Demaille wrote:
> Could you make the test case smaller?  Are you sure all the tests were
> run with the modified m4?

Okay, I narrowed down the "excess arguments to m4_pushdef" to the following
tiny case:

AC_INIT([crystal], [1], [someone])
AC_ARG_ENABLE([cpu-specific-optimizations],
    [AC_HELP_STRING([--enable-cpu-specific-optimizations=level],
        [foo, bar])],
    [], [])
AC_OUTPUT

It turns out that AC_HELP_STRING is the culprit.  If I remove the comma from
[foo, bar], then the error disappears.  I suspect that the quoting in the
new definition of AC_HELP_STRING in 2.57d is not working correctly when it
calls the newly introduced AS_HELP_STRING.

-- ES