Re: Please help.

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
Subject: Re: Please help.
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:39:02 +0200

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 04:37:11AM -0400,
 Dale Walsh <address@hidden> wrote
 a message of 76 lines which said:

> I have a c source that I'd like to make a PHP .so file.
                                            ^^^^^^^
                                            ?

>       I need the to add the following lines to the httpd.conf file

I do not think autoconf could handle it. You will have to write your
own sed script to patch httpd.conf. But I advise against it: most
Apache administrators would prefer to control when this important file
is patched (and httpd.conf is often built automatically from a set of
templates or a database).

I suggest instead to have clear instructions in the INSTALL file.

> I guess what I need is a configure.in file and then issue a
> 'autoconf -v -o configure' but I have no clue how to make the .in
> file or what goes in it.

This is explained in autoconf documentation (see the entry "Writing
`configure.ac' ======================" "" " in the chapter " "" in the chapter
"Making `configure' Scripts ************************* ") quite
clearly but the learning curve is steep. Either you decide to learn
autoconf properly (which will take time) or I suggest to ask on the
mailing list of your software instead where there is probably someone
already experimented.