Re: Why doesn't this quote properly?

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: Why doesn't this quote properly?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:16:57 -0800

Dr. Korb,

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 04:41:29PM -0800, Bruce Korb wrote:

> The "test" brackets in the "AC_CACHE_VAL" shell script test
> disappear.  The second clause is entirely quoted, so why do
> they disappear?

Macro expansion in the second argument to AC_CACHE_VAL is permitted, so you must
double quote it to make it literal ([[ ... ]]).

> ALSO:  I'm sure there is a better way to do this.  My desire
> is to add either `-R/path/to/libs' or `-Wl,-R/path/to/libs'
> to the output for $(library-config ldflags), but only if I
> can figure out the right spelling.

What is undesirable about the implementation you present?  I suppose I would
have used `for' in place of the `if' chain, AC_TRY_LINK and AC_CACHE_CHECK, but
those are style-driven preferences.