using target-specific variables?

From: Harald Dunkel
Subject: using target-specific variables?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:45:40 +0200

Hi folks,

How can I use target-specific variables in Makefiles
generated by Automake?

My Makefile.am says something like

        lib_LIBRARIES = libmylib.a libmylib_gcc3.a

        libmylib_a_SOURCES      = foo.c bar.c
        libmylib_gcc3_a_SOURCES = $(libmylib_a_SOURCES)

        libmylib_gcc3.a: CC=gcc3

But Automake seems to assume that I would like to
define the build rule for libmylib_debug.a on my own.
At build time I get an error message saying

make: *** No rule to make target `libmylib_gcc3.a', needed by `all-am'.  Stop.

Reading the generated Makefile I found just the
build rule libmylib.a, so Make is right.

???

Regards

Harri