Re: using target-specific variables?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: using target-specific variables?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:02:54 +0200

Hi Harald,

* Harald Dunkel wrote on Thu, May 12, 2005 at 01:43:51PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Harald Dunkel wrote on Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:45:40AM CEST:
> >
> >>How can I use target-specific variables in Makefiles
> >>generated by Automake?
> >
> > In general, that is not possible.
> > For specific variables, like CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, you may do this by using
> >
> >   target_CFLAGS = ...
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > but for the compiler (CC, CXX, ..) this is not implemented.
> > Rationale: if you change the compiler, you most likely need to have a
> > separate configuration (configure, configure.ac) for it.
>
> Why would I need a new configure for another compiler?
> AFAIR the configure script is supposed to find the settings
> for either the compiler I choose, or for the default
> compiler. In my case I have 3 compilers, thats all.
> It should still be possible to configure these 3 compilers
> in parallel.

I believe we are misunderstanding each other completely.

Do you need more than one compiler simultaneously within one build tree?
If not: forget my answer.
If so: please explain why you would need this.
Then we can discuss further.

> > That may be
> > achieved by using a subpackage (see Automake docs on this subject).
>
> This would mean that I have to manage 2 copies of the
> same sources.

No, that is not even true.

> Hardly acceptable in a development environment.

Sure.

> Anyway, if I introduce a line
>
>       myexe: some_internal_tool_used_at_build_time
>
> then Automake shows the same misbehaviour: It assumes that
> I would like to redefine the build rule for myexe.

Well, that's just how `make' syntax works (portable make != GNU make).

Anyway, the discussion is moot before by question above is not answered.

Regards,