Re: Tricking AC_DEFINE to hide template?

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: Tricking AC_DEFINE to hide template?
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 14:42:18 +0200

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> wrote:
: On Thu, 12 May 2005, Lars J. Aas wrote:
:
: > Hi guys,
: >
: >Is there any way to make config.status know about some define and
: >its value, but not put the template into config.h through AC_DEFINE?
: >
: >I'd like to separate system-detection-defines and user-feature-toggle-
: >defines into two separate headers.  I'd set up the user-feature-toggle-
: >defines header file manually, but config.status should know about the
: >whole set of defines and know how to "edit" it, and not keep duplicates
: >in the real config.h header if you know what I mean...
:
: One way to do it is to specify multiple configuration headers to
: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS.  Only the first one listed is managed by
: autoheader.  Additional ones can be based on hand-maintained
: substitution headers.  The first configuration header can simply be
: ignored by the software and be informative only.
:
: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([discard_config.h system_config.h user_config.h])

Thanks.  This looks like the path to a solution :)  I'd just use a
special tag description on the defines that should be filtered from
system_config.h and create a sed script that creates system_config.h.in
from discard_config.h.in to avoid having defines multiple places.
Something like that.  Multiple definitions gives out warnings BTW on
a lot of compilers...

The reason I want this is because the sources also comes with
Visual Studio project files.  For those, the system_config.h is
pregenerated, but with the project files it's impossible to do any
package configuration, so VC++ users will need to edit one header
file manually if they want to change the build options...

Regards,

  Lars J