please correct my ugly hack

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: please correct my ugly hack
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:39:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
I am trying to put checks for available programs in a
for loop in a configure.ac script.

My first attempt was:

for NAME in cp du mv rm sh su mkdir rmdir bunzip2
bzip2 compress gunzip gzip tar unzip zip
    do
    AC_PATH_PROG($NAME, $NAME, [no])
    done

This does not work, so I wrote this terrible hack:

for NAME in cp du mv rm sh su mkdir rmdir bunzip2
bzip2 compress gunzip gzip tar unzip zip
    do
    QNAME=$NAME
    AC_PATH_PROG(QNAME, $NAME, [no])
    eval $NAME=$QNAME
    unset ac_cv_path_QNAME
    done

Can someone shed some light on how the thing should be
properly done?

Thanks for any advice

CLaudio

PS: I am not subscribed to the list yet