Re: please correct my ugly hack

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: please correct my ugly hack
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:29:59 +0200

Hello Dan,

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 01:45:49PM -0400, Dan Manthey wrote:
> By the way, note that there seems to be some confusion about whether a
> PROG variable is "set".  `PROG=' does _not_ unset it.  How does
> AC_CHECK_PROG behave when the variable is set to the empty string?

it uses    test "x$VAR" = x

Thus the manual should use the term "is nonempty", not "is set".

(One of the reasons for this behaviour is that unset is not portable.)

Another problem of the documentation is that the same pattern is repeated
in the description of each of the macros.  I tried to fix this some time
ago, but then I put it ad acta with a note "this patch has to be repaired".
I attach the old patch, for reference.  If you or anyone else here could
finish it, I'd be grateful.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal