configure --help output 'standard'

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: configure --help output 'standard'
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:13:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I have some questions about ./configure --help output.
I am using expect to automate detection of supported
configure options, and this works well with configure
scripts produced with recent versions of autoconf.

To be able to know what to expect, I need to know when
current output format (categories, options and
comments) was first introduced in autoconf. I tried to
track it myself but got lost somewhere between 2.13 or
so and 2.49 (are there in-between versions at all? the
gnu ftp repository shown none).

Another issue is whether current output format is
going to remain more or less stable. Is there at least
concern about having a consistent -but possibly
evolving- output format?

Thanks for your help,

Claudio