autoconf question: different results for 2.57 and 2.59

From: Ovsei Volberg
Subject: autoconf question: different results for 2.57 and 2.59
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:02:47 -0600 (MDT)

Hello to all,
I have built a project with two set of autoconf settings
and received a very confusing result.

1. When I built the project with the following settings:

setenv AUTOCONF_LOCATION /usr/local/autoconf-2.5.7
setenv PATH "${LIBTOOL_LOCATION}/bin:${AUTOCONF_LOCATION}/bin:${PATH}"

I got the result I wanted: all Fortran flags are set correctly as you can
see from the following snippet:

F77='/usr/local/lf9562/bin/lf95'
F77_DBL_FLAG='--dbl '
F77_DEBUG_FLAG='-g --chk'
F77_INCLUDE_FLAG='-I'
F77_LD='/usr/local/lf9562/bin/lf95'
F77_MACH_FLAG=''
F77_NOOPT_FLAG='-O0'
F77_OPT_FLAG='-O --prefetch 2'
F77_OTHER_FLAG='--ap --pca'
FC='/usr/local/lf9562/bin/lf95'
FCFLAGS='--ap --pca'
FC_DBL_FLAG='--dbl '
FC_DEBUG_FLAG='-g --chk'
FC_INCLUDE_FLAG='-I'
FC_LD='/usr/local/lf9562/bin/lf95'
FC_MACH_FLAG=''
FC_NOOPT_FLAG='-O0'
FC_OPT_FLAG='-O --prefetch 2'
FC_OTHER_FLAG='--ap --pca'
FC_PIC_FLAG='-shared'
FC_WARN_FLAG='--f95'
FFLAGS='--ap --pca'
FMCFM_FLAGS='--dbl  -O --prefetch 2'

The corresponding config.log.saved file is attached.

2. But when the autoconfig settings are different:

setenv AUTOCONF_LOCATION  /usr/local/autoconf-2.5.9

I got empty settings for all Fortran flags, for example FC flags came as:
FCFLAGS=''
FC_DBL_FLAG=''
FC_DEBUG_FLAG=''
FC_INCLUDE_FLAG='-I'
FC_LD='/usr/local/lf9562/bin/lf95'
FC_MACH_FLAG=''
FC_MPI_LINK='serial'
FC_NOOPT_FLAG=''
FC_OPT_FLAG=''
FC_OTHER_FLAG=''
FC_PIC_FLAG='-fpic'
INSTALL_DATA='${INSTALL} -m 644'

The config.log file is attached  too.
If you can explain these differences I will much appreciate your help.

Best regards,
-- Ovsei
Ovsei Volberg  --  address@hidden  --  720-974-1850
Tech-X Corp., 5621 Arapahoe Ave, Suite A, Boulder CO 80303
http://www.txcorp.com  --  fax:  303.448.7756