Re: Autoconf fix Darwin/MacOS X Fortran

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Autoconf fix Darwin/MacOS X Fortran
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:47:04 +0900

On Aug 24, 2006, at 5:06 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Hello Bill,

* Bill Northcott wrote on Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 09:59:40AM CEST:
In lib/autoconf/fortran.m4  (v2.60 and cvs) there is a macro
_AC_FC_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS which  defines FLIBS for linking Fortran code.

Darwin/MacOS X also include elements of the C library in
libgcc_s.dylib and libSystem.dylib.  While including -lSystem in the
link command seems to be harmless, including -lgcc_s can cause large
links to fail.

Could you expand on why and how the links fail, and why just large(?)
links?  Preferably, show some link command plus error output.

Neither is necessary because ld automatically  includes them.

I can't approve or apply this patch, but want to note that it seems reasonable to me. Looks like libgcc_s and libgcc_s.10.4 (essentially the same thing) get added to the link line, one comes from the compiler in /usr/local, the other from the compiler in /usr.

Peter