Re: systems requiring exit?

From: Matthew Woehlke
Subject: Re: systems requiring exit?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 18:55:10 -0600

Paul Eggert wrote:
Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Hmm, mainframes? I want to say VMS also uses 'return 1' for success
(or maybe it even needs exit; I'm not the one that has to deal with
our VMS systems).

As I understand it, on VMS, exit(N) is equivalent to main returning N;
it's just that N==1 also means success.  So this is an independent
issue from whether to use exit or return.

Right. Paul seemed to be describing systems where 'return 1' meant success and 'return 0' meant failure as "broken". Personally, I tend to agree :-), but I wanted to make sure we don't stop paying attention to the issue because we think no one uses such systems any more.

If we are not going there, my comment may be safely ignored. :-)

--
Matthew
"Try to bring it back in one piece this time." -- Q (MI6)