Re: error when using autoconf 2.60 or 2.61 with MSYS/MinGW

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: error when using autoconf 2.60 or 2.61 with MSYS/MinGW
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 10:05:59 +0100

Vincent Torri wrote:
> I have installed autoconf 2.60 on windows with MSYS/MinGW in /usr.

I've been using autoconf 2.60, since almost as soon as it was released,
with both MSYS-1.0.10 and MSYS-1.0.11.  I installed it in /usr/local,
and I've *never* seen anything like...

> But it returns that error when I use it:
>
> /bin/autoconf: /home/vincent/libdvi/D:/msys/1.0/bin/autom4te:
>  No such file or directory
> /bin/autoconf: exec: /home/vincent/libdvi/D:/msys/1.0/bin/autom4te:
>  cannot execute: No such file or directory
>
> that is, autoconf prepends the current location where i'm using it
> to the directory of autom4te.
>
> I also can't install automake because of the same problem.
>
> same problem with the 2.61 version.

I've also successfully deployed autoconf-2.61, on MSYS-1.0.11 only,
again installing in /usr/local.

> Does someone see how to fix that problem ?

Since I can't reproduce it, not easily, but you could check the
following:

- What version of MSYS are you using?  If it's pre 1.0.11, then you
  really should RTFM, (in this case the README.rtf shipped with the
  installation kit).  Don't install non-MSYS executables in /bin or
  /usr/bin.  (But, this is unlikely to be the actual cause of your
  problem, since autoconf doesn't provide executables; everything
  is achieved with perl scripts, IIRC).

- Which perl interpreter is being invoked, when you run autofoo?
  If it isn't the MSYS special version, (included in the msysDTK),
  then you *will* see the path translation effects you describe
  below.

- Do you have a config.site file, which may be modifying paths?

> Another question about the path : the configure script deplace /usr
> by the real windows path. Why ?

See my comment about perl, above.

> The problem is that, when running automake, I get an error, because
> of the following command in automake:
>
> BEGIN
> {
>    my $perllibdir = $ENV{'perllibdir'} ||
> 'D:/msys/1.0/share/automake-1.10';
>    unshift @INC, (split ':', $perllibdir);
>
> so it removes the ':'

Sorry; beyond the suggestions above, I can't help you with automake,
since I do not use it.

Regards,
Keith.