Re: autoconf 2.56

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: autoconf 2.56
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 12:38:53 -0700

Please keep replies on the list, so that others may chime in or learn from
the discussion.

According to Steven Zimmer on 3/1/2008 12:26 PM:
| Thank you so much for you help. Which m4 file is AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE in
| or am I miss understanding how these functions are defined?

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is provided by Automake.  But aclocal is also provided by
Automake.  Therefore, if aclocal reports AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE as missing, then
I'm guessing that you haven't installed automake correctly.

| I have had to hack together Automake/Autoconf/autom4te because the
| ones that came with
| MSYS were too old. The way I have installed them is by setting up
| environment variables
| so that the script files would use them instead.

Which script files?  Generally, installing them at the front of your PATH
is sufficient, without having to resort to environment variables, although
the environment variables come in handy if you don't want to rely on PATH
searches.

Also, MSYS is a notoriously difficult platform to port to.  It may be
easier to autotool your package on a nicer machine, then copy the tarball
over to the MSYS environment with timestamps set so that configure does
not need to be regenerated, rather than bootstrapping directly on MSYS.

| export PKG_CONFIG="/opt/gnome/pkg-configh.sh"
| export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/local/share/aclocal-1.10 -I
| /opt/gnuwin32/share/aclocal -I /opt/gnome/share/aclocal -I
| /usr/share/aclocal -I /usr/local/share/aclocal -I
| /usr/local/share/autoconf/"
| export AUTOMAKE=/usr/local/bin/automake-1.10
| export ACLOCAL=/usr/local/bin/aclocal-1.10
| export AUTOCONF=/usr/local/bin/autoconf-2.61
| export AUTOM4TE=/usr/local/bin/autom4te-2.61
| export M4=/usr/local/bin/m4
| export AUTOHEADER=/usr/local/bin/autoheader-2.61
|
| Does autoconf search for anything relative to its path?

The problematic .m4 files are probably supposed to be found by automake,
not autoconf.

- --

Eric Blake             address@hidden