Re: just one of a million reasons why autoconf is a worthless piece of s

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: just one of a million reasons why autoconf is a worthless piece of shit (2)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:28:58 -0400

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 15:40 +0100, Dirk wrote:
> My point is that autoconf is such a bloated, self-important,
> wet-script-kiddie-dream that is DOESN'T make the build process
> easier...
>
> It rather encourages people to write their own config scripts...
>
> So the whole thing has lost its meaning...

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to reply when you obviously don't really
want help, you just want to spout your own opinions and froth at the
mouth to make yourself feel better at the expense of others.

I'll just say two things: first, if you think "autoconf" is named that
because it's automatic for the MAINTAINER, then you've COMPLETELY missed
the point.  Here's a hint: it's not about you, it's about your users.

Second, if you think you can write your own "config script" that will be
portable to even a small fraction of the systems that an autoconfiscated
package is, then by all means, have at it.  Many people have made the
same hysterical claims you have, and yet strangely enough, no one has
actually _produced_ anything better.  Odd.

And, if you don't care about your project being portable, then indeed:
why are you even bothering with autoconf?

Cheers.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us