RE: just one of a million reasons why autoconf is a worthless pieceof sh

From: zfred
Subject: RE: just one of a million reasons why autoconf is a worthless pieceof shit (2)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:59:44 +1100

It is not useless, configure works quite well, when it doesn't it is a pain tho.

For the developer, no matter how you put it, it takes a huge effort to create
and
Maintain a configure script, and its so ugly.

IMO, I'd love to see it evolve to something advanced like using a customised
Small language interpreter. Throw away completely the MACRO house of cards
Its currently built on.
Sure so it will then need more than simply bash and m4 to run, but so what?
Nowadays its common to have system scripts that have #!/usr/bin/perl on the
first line.
So perl is now expected to be installed.
I am not suggesting to use perl, you need a small very customised language
interpreter
Tool that will have minimal problems in being recompiled on a platform.
Hardware keeps advancing, and software shouldn't? stuck in the same hole
forever?

There are a few alternatives to autoconf, I'm looking at, haven't found an ideal
one yet
However.

Cheers