AC_PROG_LEX behavior

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: AC_PROG_LEX behavior
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:29:05 -0400

I'm trying to use AC_PROG_LEX to discover whether flex (or lex) is available. During testing I found out that, even when neither is available, the LEX variable is set to ':' instead of being empty.
And sure enough, I subsequently found this in the programs.m4 code:

AC_DEFUN_ONCE([AC_PROG_LEX],
[AC_CHECK_PROGS(LEX, flex lex, :)
if test "x$LEX" != "x:"; then
  _AC_PROG_LEX_YYTEXT_DECL
fi])

Is this intentional ? Is it documented somewhere ? In other words, is it ok for me to check for "test $LEX != ':'" to discover success ?

Thanks,
                Stefan