Negation semantics for LD_FLAGS?

From: Bill McGonigle
Subject: Negation semantics for LD_FLAGS?
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:50:13 -0400

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to tell configure _not_ to look in a directory for libraries, in this case /usr/local/lib. This would be the inverse of LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib'.

Here's the scenario: I'm working with a package management system (fink) which maintains its own software tree, but also looks into / usr/lib for linking. The packages it downloads almost always have a configure script, and sometimes users will find that they have conflicting libraries in their /usr/local/lib directory from other software packages that exist outside of its tree. As I understand the problem, configure figures out that there are libraries in there, eventually calls for them to be linked, but due to versioning, etc., linking will fail. Users are typically told to move /usr/local/lib out of the way, build, and then put it back, but this buggers up maintenance.

Ideally, I'd set an environment variable that looked like:

  LDFLAGS='-nL/usr/local'

or something like that, and configure would know what to do with that. The reason an environment variable makes sense is that there are potentially thousands of packages that each have their own `configure` call which would need to be modified if not for an environment variable, and configure is doing all the right things, with this one exception.

I've tried the manual, Google, and list archives and if it exists I'm not searching effectively. I'm not really even clear whether configure is parsing LDFLAGS or just passing it along to the compiler. So, is there a way to do this, or if not, does it make sense and/or would it be feasible?

Thanks,
-Bill

-----
address@hidden           Cell: 603.252.2606