Re: Question about CFLAGS

From: Sérgio Durigan Júnior
Subject: Re: Question about CFLAGS
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:54:56 -0300

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 16:57 +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Sérgio Durigan Júnior <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > My question is about the CFLAGS variable. What should be the standard
> > behaviour when I provide my own CFLAGS (in this case, '-m64') for
> > configure script? Should it override its own CFLAGS and use only mine,
> > or should it append my CFLAGS to its CFLAGS, using a combination of
> > both?
>
> In general a configure script should never modify CFLAGS.  But flags
> like -m64 that select a completely different ABI should better be put in
> CC, not CFLAGS.

Does that mean that CFLAGS is a variable only for the user? Well, let's
say that, for some strong reason, the configure is actually modifying
it. What would be the correct behaviour in this case? FYI, I'm talking
specifically about Python's build system, which uses 3 internal
variables ($BASECFLAGS, $OPT and $EXTRA_CFLAGS), but strangely ignores
the value of CFLAGS provided by the user. It's causing some troubles,
and we're trying to fix it. More information can be found at
http://bugs.python.org/issue1628484 .

Oh, regarding the use of CC flag, I'm aware of it, but thanks anyway for
telling me :).

Regards,

--
Sérgio Durigan Júnior
Linux on Power Toolchain - Software Engineer