Re: Question about CFLAGS

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Question about CFLAGS
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:59:11 -0400

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 13:51 -0300, Sérgio Durigan Júnior wrote:
> Yes, it is a bug. What we want to know is if we should append $CFLAGS
> to $BASECFLAGS (i.e., BASECFLAGS="$BASECFLAGS @CFLAGS@") or use *only*
> $CFLAGS when the user provides it.

By convention and practice, the former (CFLAGS are ADDED TO the normal
set of flags).  Presumably any flags in BASECFLAGS are _needed_ to get
the compilation to work, so overwriting them would make setting CFLAGS
on the make command line not very useful... or at least difficult to
use.

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>                 http://make.mad-scientist.us
 "Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional."--Mad Scientist