Re: Noooooooooo!

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Noooooooooo!
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 03:18:07 -0500

Daniel E. Macks wrote:
> Duft Markus <address@hidden> said:
>>> checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
>>> configure: WARNING: In the future, Autoconf will not detect
>> cross-tools
>>> whose name does not start with the host triplet.  If you think this
>>> configuration is useful to you, please write to address@hidden
>> The future behavior does make sense. Also, autoconf still supports what
>> you want, and just issues a warning, right?
>
> I'm coming in late to the game here and I'm just an autotools user but
> I do deal with test-writing and pkg-config. Where can I read about
> what on earth changed and what this warning means? What triggers it vs
> what is the "new way to do it correctly"? Is it something that affects
> standard autoconf macros or only ones I might write myself? For
> example, I know what a host triplet is, but what kind of tools are
> "cross-tools"?

Hi Dan,

The warning is only presented when cross-compiling, so, if you were
building on --build=i386-linux and tagetting --host=arm-linux, for
example, AC_CHECK_TOOL([PKGCONFIG],[pkgconfig],[:]) will currently look
for 'arm-linux-pkgconfig', then look for plain old 'pkgconfig' and it
will warn about not detecting cross-tools in the future.

Josef noted that he did not want this to change. I'm inclined to agree
with him, people who are cross-compiling may not have all of the `tools'
available as triplet-prefixed-name, but are likely to have their PATH
set correctly to point at the cross-tools.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman
http://pogma.com