Re: Noooooooooo!

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: Noooooooooo!
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:08:48 -0700

Peter O'Gorman wrote:

> Josef noted that he did not want this to change. I'm inclined to agree
> with him, people who are cross-compiling may not have all of the `tools'
> available as triplet-prefixed-name, but are likely to have their PATH
> set correctly to point at the cross-tools.

Moreover, this warning is by no means new -- it has been there for
approximately four and a half years by my quick trawl through git
(e09a76cd, 2004-03-19) so it's a fair guess that nobody is actually ever
going to make the proposed change, otherwise they would have by now.
And without fail every few months or so someone sends an impassioned
plea to this list to keep the feature, as advised by the text of the
warning:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2008-08/msg00108.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2008-03/msg00173.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2008-01/msg00027.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2007-10/msg00060.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2007-09/msg00000.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2007-09/msg00078.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2007-07/msg00002.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2007-04/msg00063.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2006-11/msg00082.html

I'd say it's time to remove this warning or make a decision.

Brian