Re: default $(libdir) and bi-arch systems

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: default $(libdir) and bi-arch systems
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 06:23:31 +0200

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 20:07 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > This is non-applicable, because there is no general rule to distinguish
> > "64bit compiler flags from 32bit compiler flags", nor any hard-coded
> > rule to which multisubdir a compiler might be using.
> >
> > I.e. an approach trying to snoop for -m32/-m64 would be naive.
> >
> > If somebody you really wants to set up a "reasonable guess" at a "the
> > multi-subdir in effect", he would have to dig much deeper into a
> > compiler's internals.
>
> I happened to be looking at this just today and ended up adopting the
> following solution when adding library search paths for third-party
> libraries.

Well, this is limited to distinguishing 32/64, i.e. is only applicable
to a very small (though far spread) subset of OSes.

But even on them this seems to lacks quite some amount of generality,
such as case of using real multi-arching, e.g. as building 32bit-ABI
binaries on 64bit-platforms using a multi-lib'ed/multi-arch'ed gcc.