Re: default $(libdir) and bi-arch systems

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: default $(libdir) and bi-arch systems
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 22:16:11 -0700

Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:
> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 20:07 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I happened to be looking at this just today and ended up adopting the
>> following solution when adding library search paths for third-party
>> libraries.

> Well, this is limited to distinguishing 32/64, i.e. is only applicable
> to a very small (though far spread) subset of OSes.

> But even on them this seems to lacks quite some amount of generality,
> such as case of using real multi-arching, e.g. as building 32bit-ABI
> binaries on 64bit-platforms using a multi-lib'ed/multi-arch'ed gcc.

Better solutions are certainly welcome.  I'm not proposing this for
inclusion in Autoconf, just offering some personal experience that might
have offered some insight into what's worked in practice in some cases.

I'd certainly welcome a more general solution.  Something that would help
with adding paths for third-party libraries would be excellent.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>