Re: Autoconf Transforms

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Re: Autoconf Transforms
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:47:51 -0500

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I guess the manual is trying to tell me that implicitly by discussing
>>> the m4 processor parsing rules, but I haven't yet found an explicit
>>> warning to that effect about use of shell commands (except the
>>> warnings about portable shell programming and recomended non-use of
>>> the negated character class form).

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Active-Characters
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Quotation-Rule-Of-Thumb

Ah, I saw the section as programming in m4 and had missed the blurb
about  the whole configure.ac is transformed by m4.  Somehow I got the
idea that only the obvious macros are parsed by m4--obviously I was
really confused.

> is the right quoting.  If you have improvements for the wording in the
> manual, please let us know!

Thanks, Eric, I intend to try.

Regards,

-Tom