Re: Setting different debug and release locations

From: Dan Smithers
Subject: Re: Setting different debug and release locations
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:24:24 +0000

Hi again,

Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Dan Smithers on 10/30/2008 3:47 AM:
>> Hi,
>> I've just started trying to use autoconf et. al. to build my source
>> code. The tree was previously partially autoconfed.
>
>> I want to be able to use separate libraries for debug and release
>> builds. Is this something that can be done easily?
>
> Sounds like you want to use VPATH builds, with one directory for release
> libraries, and another configured for debug libraries.
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#VPATH-Builds

Perhaps I need to explain my setup a bit.

I have some libraries that I build, and some applications that are also
built. The libraries are only required by my apps and I don't want to
use the default installation especially for the debug version.

I have used --prefix=/opt/mine/debug to build the libraries in a
separate playground. Can I get configure to use the debug libraries?

I have ended up with a very long command

in a debug subdir:

../configure --prefix=/opt/mine/debug CFLAGS= '-g -O0 -DDEBUG
-I../../include -I/opt/mine/debug/include'
LDFLAGS='-L/opt/mine/debug/lib -Wl,-rpath /opt/mine/debug/lib'

I tried adding VPATH=/opt/mine/debug/include to the configure command,
but that didn't get passed on - do I need to add VPATH to the
configure.ac file? The test for my home grown libraries failed during
the configure stage.

thanks

dan