Re: Setting different debug and release locations

From: Dan Smithers
Subject: Re: Setting different debug and release locations
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:11:15 +0000

Hi

> I think what Eric meant was
>
> cd /path/to/your/project
> make dist-clean
> mkdir release_build
> cd release_build
> ../configure [RELEASE_OPTIONS]
> cd ..
> mkdir debug_build
> cd debug_build
> ../configure [DEBUG_OPTIONS]

That's what I'm doing now and everything nearly works as I want it to.
I got a bit confused and tried adding VPATH explicitly in the OPTIONS.

> I assume you use Automake and Libtool and since your libraries are only
> used within the project, there is no reason to install them. See section
> on convenience libraries in Automake manual
> http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Libtool-Convenience-Libraries

I have several applications that want to use the same home-rolled
library. Currently each application and library is a separate source
tree with its own autotools tree.

I've been adding
CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to the configure command, but this seems to cause
problems with LIBTOOLS as it tries to link the library that it is
creating - which causes an error.

thanks

dan