Re: Re: autotest testsuite hangs, help!

From: johnwohlbier
Subject: Re: Re: autotest testsuite hangs, help!
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:52:47 +0000

On May 11, 2009 10:26am, address@hidden wrote:
On May 11, 2009 9:59am, address@hidden wrote:
> I have a testsuite hanging and for the life of me I can't figure out what is going on. For some sub-libraries within my project autotest works fine. For other sub-libraries it hangs. The libraries share common local.at and atconfig files, etc. In fact the Makefile.am's for the different sub-libraries are made by the same bootstrap script, which also copies the same local.at into the different locations. So it almost feels like the *source code* for the different sub-libraries is the culprit, even though that sounds crazy.
>

> The hang looks like this:
>

> address@hidden test]$ make check
>
> make check-local
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wohlbier/pika_relay/branches/build-branch/build/lib/pika_utilities/test'
>
> /usr/bin/autom4te --language=autotest -I '/home/wohlbier/pika_relay/branches/build-branch/src/pika_utilities/test' -o testsuite.tmp testsuite.at
>
> mv testsuite.tmp testsuite
>
> /bin/sh 'testsuite'
>
> ## ------------------------------------------ ##
>
> ## pika_utilities test suite: pika_utilities. ##
>
> ## ------------------------------------------ ##
>

> Running ./testsuite -v gives the same thing. I've shrunk the testsuite.at to call only one test, and again the test is a macro that works within other sublibraries!
>

> At this point I think I'm looking for recommendations on how to debug this. I can provide any information that is needed. Thanks.

I reduced my macro down to a minimal set and I think I have some more information. When I use this macro
m4_define([CCS_AT_RUN],
[AT_BANNER([testing $1])
AT_SETUP([$1])
echo "this is $1"
AT_TESTED([])
AT_CLEANUP])

Invoked like this
CCS_AT_RUN([test_Comp_Cart_Part],[1 2 4])

and make check, followed by ./testsuite -v I get

address@hidden test]$ ./testsuite -v
## ------------------------------------------ ##
## pika_utilities test suite: pika_utilities. ##
## ------------------------------------------ ##

pika utilities

testing test_Comp_Cart_Part

1. testsuite.at:7: testing ...
this is test_Comp_Cart_Part
1. testsuite.at:7: ok

## ------------- ##
## Test results. ##
## ------------- ##

1 test was successful.
address@hidden test]$

However, If I add $1 to the argument of AT_TESTED, viz
m4_define([CCS_AT_RUN],
[AT_BANNER([testing $1])
AT_SETUP([$1])
echo "this is $1"
AT_TESTED([$1])
AT_CLEANUP])

and call it in the same way, I get the hang.

Does this glean any information for anyone?

And finally, the reason the macro was "working" in the other libraries is that those tests were passing. In the case where I was seeing the testsuite hang, it was b/c the tests were failing and exiting with exit(1). In fact, then, the hang was due to my source code being incorrect.

Does this indicate an improperly designed macro? Should AT_TESTED([$1]) only be called for tests that pass, or at least terminate in a prescribed manner?

jgw