Re: ./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: ./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 19:57:40 +0200

Hello Pierre,

please don't top-post, thank you.

* Pierre wrote on Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 09:40:50AM CEST:

> You are right, it seems that expr is broken. Here is the result of the
> command you advised :
> root:/# expr 426 + 1
> Illegal instruction
>
> I don't know why I didn't have the problem sooner though, as in LFS,
> once a package is built it is used in the following steps...

Do you run 'make check' for each package you're building?  Or is it that
coreutils test suite requires perl and you didn't have perl built yet?

> So I
> suppose I should have had the problem with expr after building
> coreutils in chapter 6.

Well, it would be nice if you could report the issue to LFS or to
bug-coreutils, after ensuring that it is indeed a bug in coreutils and
not a pilot error.

The error sounds like your compiler may be generating code that your
processor can't process.  Like if you built for i686 but then used the
code on an i486.

> Anyway, no problem, I understood your instructions ;-) And yes, I
> carefully built every LFS package with the recommended patches...

Thanks,