Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99 and AC_OPENMP

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99 and AC_OPENMP
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 22:05:35 +0200

> William Pursell wrote:
> > Ralf, I'm curious as to your statement about *needing*
> > autoconf < 2.62.  I truly don't understand why anyone
> > is unable to update and use modern versions.

Example: some release branches of GCC still require use of Autoconf
2.59 and Automake 1.9.6.  Updating trunk was some work (at the time),
with chances for regressions, thus not appropriate for older branches.

Several larger projects have ranges of autotools versions that they aim
to still support in their development trees.