powerpc-ibm-os400?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: powerpc-ibm-os400?
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 10:00:34 -0500 (CDT)

I have a potential user of my software who is using IBM as400 PowerPC hardware. The user says that the system is running a version of AIX and is capable of running AIX packaged software. Autoconf says that the system is powerpc-ibm-os400 with no mention of AIX. This causes me some concern since if I do some greps through my package's configure script, I see 70+ matches for aix systems (probably many are from libtool), but no matches for os400 at all. This causes me to suspect that support for this platform may be lacking. Regardless, my package is apparently almost working properly on this platform as a static build.

Wikipedia tells me little about this target ("http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_i5/OS";), but it seems that OS/400 is now called "IBM I".

Does anyone here have experience with this sort of as400 system and can tell me what issues I need to watch out for?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn