Re: Overriding LN_S

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Overriding LN_S
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 21:32:36 +0200

Hi Peter,

* Peter Rosin wrote on Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 09:18:29PM CEST:
> For various reasons I want to override the decision autoconf
> makes regarding LN_S. It it set to "ln -s" on my system which
> is perfectly fine in every normal case. But in my abnormal case
> I want it to be "cp -p". What can I do?

I'm rather sure either LN_S or as_ln_s used to be overridable at one
point, but doesn't seem to be the case in the current code.  Hmm, I
see ac_cv_prog_LN_S in Autoconf from ten years ago, but that code had
other problems too.

One workaround would be to write a wrapper program called ln which does
exit 1.  :-)  Or, if you somehow need links for something else, fail if
source and target match conf[1-9][0-9]*.* (regex not glob notation)
after disregarding -s, that ought to catch the typical configure tests.

> I also want this to
> propagate to recursive autoconf invocations, so it is not
> sufficient to manually edit the generated configure script.

You mean recursive configure invocations?

Thanks,