Re: produce *mod with fortran

From: Christopher Hulbert
Subject: Re: produce *mod with fortran
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 08:28:06 -0500

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Eve-Marie Devaliere
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Ralph and all,
>
> I think I have updated autoconf succesfully...
> Now it says:
> configure: error: Fortran compiler cannot create executables

Are you still passing "-c" in FCFLAGS as you indicated in your first 2
posts? If so, this is why your fortran compiler is not creating an
executable. As you can see by the line below:

configure:2508: ifort -c -O2 -convert big_endian -free -assume
                                 ^
                          This is why no executable is created.

Chris

> If I check the log it says:
> checking for Fortran compiler version
> $FC --version >&5
> configure:2460: ifort --version >&5
> ifort (IFORT) 12.0.0 20101006
> Copyright (C) 1985-2010 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> configure:2471: $? = 0
> $FC -v >&5
> configure:2460: ifort -v >&5
> Version 12.0.0
> configure:2471: $? = 0
> $FC -V >&5
> configure:2460: ifort -V >&5
> Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on
> Intel(R) 64, Version 12.0.0.084 Build 20101006
> Copyright (C) 1985-2010 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> configure:2471: $? = 0
> $FC -qversion >&5
> configure:2460: ifort -qversion >&5
> ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-qversion'
> ifort: command line error: no files specified; for help type "ifort -help"
> configure:2471: $? = 1
> configure:2486: checking whether the Fortran compiler works
> configure:2508: ifort -c -O2 -convert big_endian -free -assume
> byterecl   conftest.f  >&5
> configure:2512: $? = 0
> configure:2550: result: no
> configure: failed program was:
> |       program main
> |
> |       end
> configure:2555: error: in
> `/net/orbit272l/home/pub/evemarie/projects/CRTM/autoconf/play/CRTM':
> configure:2557: error: Fortran compiler cannot create executables
>

> First I am not sure why it goes through all those tests to find the
> version and doesn't stop once one test has been successful but that is
> probably not part of the problem....
>
> I still don't see a conftest...
>
> As previously if I use -g only as my FCFLAGS instead of -c -O2 -convert
> big_endian -free -assume byterecl , configure runs fine but then of
> course make doesn't....

Why are you using -c? Don't do this.

Chris