Re: Multiple subdirectories with non-similar configure needs

From: Jim Galarowicz
Subject: Re: Multiple subdirectories with non-similar configure needs
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:30:27 -0500

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the reply!

On 03/29/2011 01:35 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hello Jim,

* Jim Galarowicz wrote on Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 09:08:02PM CEST:
I was wondering if anyone can point me to any information on how to
configure from a top-level directory multiple sub-directories with
different configure requirements.

Well, you can just write code yourself that calls the sub configure
scripts with the arguments you intend for it.  Basically your own
version of AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS, if you like.

GCC does this in its own tree (except the code is partly in the
makefile, not only the toplevel configure script).

For simple things, it often suffices to adjust $ac_configure_args during
configure (beware of the eval quoting though!).

However, you haven't written what kind of adjustments you need at all,
so it's not clear how to help more.

My subdirectories are: libcbtf, libcbtf-xml, libcbtf-mrnet.  Each
subdirectory has different package requirements and has been set up
to use autoconf, automake, libtool, m4, etc..

Wait.  If it's just about different package requirements, then you don't
need to mess with toplevel at all.  All --with-* and
--enable-*/--disable-* flags are passed down to each sub configure
script.  Each of the configure scripts can just choose to adhere to the
flags it knows, and ignore the rest, no?

I'll still need a configure at the top level in order to pass down the superset of all the options that the subdirectories will need, correct? The top-level would have to have all the configuration settings that each of the lower level subdirectories would need to recognize and then each subdirectory configure can apply what it recognizes.

I will try this approach.

Thanks,
Jim G