Re: Multiple subdirectories with non-similar configure needs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Multiple subdirectories with non-similar configure needs
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:37:14 +0200

* Jim Galarowicz wrote on Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 04:30:27PM CEST:
> On 03/29/2011 01:35 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >* Jim Galarowicz wrote on Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 09:08:02PM CEST:
> >>I was wondering if anyone can point me to any information on how to
> >>configure from a top-level directory multiple sub-directories with
> >>different configure requirements.
[...]

> >>My subdirectories are: libcbtf, libcbtf-xml, libcbtf-mrnet.  Each
> >>subdirectory has different package requirements and has been set up
> >>to use autoconf, automake, libtool, m4, etc..
> >
> >Wait.  If it's just about different package requirements, then you don't
> >need to mess with toplevel at all.  All --with-* and
> >--enable-*/--disable-* flags are passed down to each sub configure
> >script.  Each of the configure scripts can just choose to adhere to the
> >flags it knows, and ignore the rest, no?
>
> I'll still need a configure at the top level in order to pass down
> the superset of all the options that the subdirectories will need,
> correct?

Correct.  But since a configure script passes all options from the user
down, that's trivial to fulfill, as long as option semantics do not
contradict each other.  Of course, when they do, or when you want to
pass a different set of options to each sub configure, the TODO items
discussed elsewhere in this thread apply.

>  The top-level would have to have all the configuration
> settings that each of the lower level subdirectories would need to
> recognize

No.

> and then each subdirectory configure can apply what it recognizes.

Yes.