Re: [autoconf] Problems Configuring (C Compiler cannot produce executabl

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: [autoconf] Problems Configuring (C Compiler cannot produce executables)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 21:20:15 -0700

Jeffrey Walton <address@hidden> writes:

> I want hardened executables and shared objects. That includes ASLR,
> which means -fPIE -pie for executables; -fPIC and -shared for shared
> objects. According to the dialog from the GCC feature request, -fPIC and
> -shared should be used as it appears to be a "superset" of -fPIE -pie.

-fPIC is only for libraries.  For executables, such as what's created by
configure, you want -fPIE.  See, for example, the documentation for how to
deploy hardening flags in Debian (as one of many examples of distributions
doing this that I just happen to be familiar with personally):

    http://wiki.debian.org/Hardening/

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>