Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Paul Wise
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 02:09:23 +0800

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 11:07 -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> Does simple replacement of config.guess and config.sub constitute a
> useful "port" to this previously unencountered target?

Yes. The problem is that we have to repeat this process for every
package every time we want to bootstrap a new port or system. Or we can
change every package to replace config.guess/sub. Or we can change the
packaging building process for every distribution to replace
config.guess/sub. Or we can just change autoconf so that it creates
configure scripts that look for the latest config.guess/sub. I am
pursuing all of these approaches, starting at autoconf.

> Is there really any viable substitute for re-autotooling the packages,
> while modifying configure.ac, Makefiles, and source code as found to
> be required?

Not as yet, I'm hoping my patch will become that in the very long term.

--
bye,
pabs

http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/