Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 13:52:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012, Paul Wise wrote:

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 11:07 -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

Does simple replacement of config.guess and config.sub constitute a
useful "port" to this previously unencountered target?

Yes. The problem is that we have to repeat this process for every
package every time we want to bootstrap a new port or system. Or we can
change every package to replace config.guess/sub. Or we can change the
packaging building process for every distribution to replace
config.guess/sub. Or we can just change autoconf so that it creates
configure scripts that look for the latest config.guess/sub. I am
pursuing all of these approaches, starting at autoconf.

While replacing config.guess/sub gets over the first hurdle, there are surely additional hurdles to be encountered which might render getting past the first hurdle to be moot. For example, libtool (also embedded in packages) includes platform-specific code keyed off of results from config.guess. Many configure scripts include peculiar code keyed off of results from config.guess.

There is really no solid solution other than performing proper maintenance of the packages and sending patches to the upstream maintainer.

For an exceedingly-rare platform like arm64, it is likely that the early ports will be of rather low quality and that quality will not improve until package maintainers take an interest, get access to target hardware, and make sure that their package works well on that target.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn