Re: [RFC] pass #2 at getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bo

From: Paul Wise
Subject: Re: [RFC] pass #2 at getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 14:44:14 +0800

On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 07:14 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> I don't like this approach, because I think you are missing that
> config.sub and config.guess have only been overwritten as part of
> "autoreconf -f" (and not of "autoreconf"). This allows package upstreams
> to implement customized versions of both of these scripts.

I hadn't considered custom versions, but that sounds icky. I figure in
these cases they can bump their timestamp to 9999-99-99 if they want to
never use the official versions of these files, I can't think of a case
where they would want that though. The use-cases you mention below, they
probably just want the latest versions from config.git rather than to
always use their own.

> Though such cases are rare to find in mainstream packages, theses case
> are quite common in cases to toolchain/OS implementors and
> cross-compilation scenarios.

I think people needing these particular use-cases can use my proposed
mechanism instead, which should work better for them anyway since they
don't need to modify every package being built nor modify their build
system.

> FWIW: Apart of this, in comparable situations in the past, on Red Hat
> based distros, IIRC, RedHat had chosen to copy their versions of
> config.guess+config.sub as part of their build-process [1] by
> default[2]. This would be comparable to the dh_<something> others
> mentioned before in this thread.

Could you give some more details? Were the RH versions of config.guess
and config.sub modified in any way or were they just newer versions from
GNU config CVS/git?

PS: Please CC me in reply.

--
bye,