Selecting a C++ standard

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: Selecting a C++ standard
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 21:38:03 +0100

Hi folks,

A while back now, I wrote the AC_PROG_CC_C89 and AC_PROG_CC_C99
macros (and I see now there's a C11 variant--nice!) to select
the standard mode used by the C compiler.

However, it does not appear that an equivalent facility exists
for the C++ compiler, despite g++ supporting an equivalent
set of -std options.  It would be nice if these could be
exposed via an equivalent set of autoconf macros.

Is anyone working on such a thing?  I see that there are a
couple of macros in the autoconf archive, but are not very
comprehensive (GCC only).  I'm willing to do this if no one is
already looking at this.

I would propose to add:

AC_PROG_CXX_STDCXX
AC_PROG_CXX_CXX98
AC_PROG_CXX_CXXTR1 [CXX98 with additional checks for TR1 headers]
AC_PROG_CXX_CXX11

With behaviour the same as the existing C macros.

I only have access to GCC, so if anyone could provide some
information on how to put the other vendor compilers into
the above modes (as we do for the C89/99 macros), that would
be much appreciated.

Regards,
Roger

--