Re: Selecting a C++ standard

From: Adrian Bunk
Subject: Re: Selecting a C++ standard
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 03:59:43 +0200

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 06:25:02PM -0700, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Adrian Bunk writes:
> > On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 05:59:23PM -0700, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> > > Adrian,
> >
> > Hi Harlan,
> >
> > > I don't think either one of us will convince the other.
> > >
> > > I'm done.
> >
> > I'm surprised getting that as an answer to an email where I suggested a
> > possible solution for your use cases.
>
> We appear to live in different worlds, with different goals and
> different ideas about "spheres of influence".

I (only speaking for myself) have no goals in that area, and anyway
nothing to decide here.

Perhaps I'm wrong on that, but at the moment my impression is that much
of what you want is based on wrong assumptions, like that gcc in it's
default gnu89 mode would reject non-C89 code, or that all C++03
compilers would support the same subset of the C++03 standard.

And even if I'd be wrong on that, my impression is that what you have
are quite unusual use cases.

I'm completely open to change my opinion based on arguments that
convince me that I missed some problem so far, but you seem to run
away instead of properly explaining your problem.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed