Re: ECCN for AutoConf

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: ECCN for AutoConf
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 20:48:30 -0600

On 06/17/2014 04:25 PM, Wright, Kim wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thank you for your response. Do you have a classification or trade compliance
> group I can reach out to? I know other redhat products contain crypto and are
> export controlled. so I assume someone at your company (or a consultant
> perhaps) classified the software at some point.

Sorry, this is the upstream Autoconf list, and is not affiliated with
Red Hat, but with the Free Software Foundation.  While my email address
mentions redhat.com, the time I spend on autoconf is my personal time
and not part of my paid tasks from Red Hat.  I'm afraid I have no better
idea on who to contact at Red Hat or any other company than what you
could equally find by some internet research, and I'm not going to do
your homework.

> Even open source / free software can be export controlled.

Sure, but my google research said that happens only for code that
contains crypto code, and autoconf doesn't.  Seriously, your best bet is
to assume that autoconf falls under the exemption clauses, and can be
exported without any special authorization.

> Any assistance in getting me to the appropriate person or group at your
> company would be most appreciated.

At this point, all I can suggest is to try contacting a sales
representative, rather than a software engineer, to see if that is a
better avenue for getting a lead on this topic.  It need not be through
Red Hat (I'm not trying to present an unfair bias).