new/custom installation directory

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: new/custom installation directory
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 06:51:32 +0000

NTP has a very long history with where its files and executables are
installed, and every time I've tried to change these locations in the
past there has been a huge backlash.

I was finally able to come up with a mechanism that lets different OSes
control where they want the executables (which also handles the choice
of man or mdoc tags in the man pages, and what section each man page is
installed).  That seems to be acceptable to folks.

One installation directory choice I haven't found a good solution to is
the ntp.conf file, which is traditionally installed in /etc/ .  If there
is an ntp.keys file, it will usually go in /etc/ as well.

In general, folks want the config-related files to be in /etc/ even if
they install the binaries in /usr/local.

While I'd like to use sysconfdir for this I'm concerned about the
hackery I'd need to do to make it work as we expect.

I'm thinking about using ntpconfdir for this, but how to make that work
the way the other paths do hasn't been obvious to me from casual study.

I'd rather not use AC_ARG_ENABLE or AC_ARG_WITH for this, either, just
because that seems crufty to me.

What other choices are there?

--
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>