Re: new/custom installation directory

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: new/custom installation directory
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 10:01:14 +0000

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 3:38 AM, Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eric Blake writes:
>> On 11/16/2014 11:51 PM, Harlan Stenn wrote:
>>> One installation directory choice I haven't found a good solution to
>>> is the ntp.conf file, which is traditionally installed in /etc/ .  If
>>> there is an ntp.keys file, it will usually go in /etc/ as well.
>>>
>>> In general, folks want the config-related files to be in /etc/ even
>>> if they install the binaries in /usr/local.
>>>
>>> While I'd like to use sysconfdir for this I'm concerned about the
>>> hackery I'd need to do to make it work as we expect.
>>
>> sysconfdir IS the solution you are looking for.  A distro will run:
>>
>> =2E/configure prefix=3D/ sysconfdir=3D/etc
>>
>> and things will just work.
>
> Eric, it needs more than that.  We might be able to do it with:
>
>  --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc
>
> but that won't work because that also affects datarootdir, includedir,
> localstatedir, and sharedstatedir.  I need sysconfdir to be $DESTDIR/etc
> and all of the others to use $DESTDIR/usr/local/XXX .

What is wrong with

--prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc

With

address@hidden@
address@hidden@
address@hidden@
address@hidden@
address@hidden@
address@hidden@

in Makefile.in, and

AC_INIT
AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

in configure.ac, running "./configure --prefix=/usr/local
--sysconfdir=/etc" gives the following in Makefile:

prefix=/usr/local
sysconfdir=/etc
datarootdir=${prefix}/share
includedir=${prefix}/include